How do I Become a Customs Agent?
To become an acknowledged customs agent, you will need to apply for a licence.
Licensing Process - New Application
- Fill Form C20 and forward it to the Licensing officer.
- Application is recorded and assigned a reference number.
- Review and vetting of application to ensure all the required supporting documents have been submitted.
What are the documents required?
- PIN certificates for the Company and all its directors.
- ID for all directors.
- Recent passport size photographs of directors and staff duly certified by a Notary Public or a Commissioner for Oaths.
- Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association clearly indicating the Clearing and forwarding Agent firm is a registered business.
- Certificate of Registration from the Registrar of Companies.
- Certificate of good conduct for all directors.
- Evidence of membership with a recognized Clearing & Forwarding Association ( ). The evidence may take the form of a letter, payment receipt for annual membership fee or a certificate.
- Have an established office, the physical location of which shall be indicated in the license application form for customs verification purposes.
- Valid tenancy agreement /Lease or title deed if you own the premises.
- Architectural design of the premises/office.
- Letter from bankers showing the company maintains an account with them.
- Letter from Domestic taxes Department confirming that the Company and all its Directors have lodged current Income Tax and VAT returns.
- Receipt for payment (50 USD application fee) for the application form. (If the application was presented after the deadline, the receipt for payment of the prescribed late application fee should also be attached).
- Applicants are invited for interview by the Licensing Committee.
- Successful applicants recommended for licensing are notified.
- The successful applicants are asked to pay the required License fee.
- The application is then approved by the Commissioner.
- Clearing Agent's License is issued.
When the application is successful, the following fees should be paid;
- Payment of annual license fee 400 Usd.
- Bond (CB11) not less than 5000 Usd.
- Payment for Simba training fee of Kshs. 15000.
- Payment for Simba Access Kshs. 15000.