Kenya Revenue Authority reminds all licensed manufacturers, importers, distributors, retailers and general public that all bottled water, juices, energy drinks, soda and other non-alcoholic beverages manufactured in or imported to Kenya from 13th November, 2019 must be affixed with an Excise Stamp in compliance with Section 28 of Excise Duty Act 2015 and Legal Notice 53 of 30th March, 2017 (Excisable Goods Management System Regulations) as earlier notified through a Public Notice issued on 28th October, 2019 and further by a Public Notice dated 28th January, 2020.
Following consultations with the industry, KRA advises manufacturers, importers, distributors, retailers and the general public that;
- All bottled water, juices, energy drinks, soda and other non-alcoholic beverages manufactured or imported to Kenya prior to 13th November, 2019 shall be allowed in the market up to 29th February, 2020
- Any remaining stocks as at 29 February 2020 shall be affixed with excise stamps for the products to be allowed in the market.
- Distributors and retailers are urged to offer for sale goods on a First In, First Out (FIFO) basis to ensure exhaustion of these stocks.
- Henceforth, manufacturers and importers shall only deliver stamped products for resale or consumption.
- Distributors and retailers shall purchase excisable goods from manufacturers and importers licensed or registered under section15 of the Excise Duty Act 2015. An updated list of manufacturers and importers licensed or registered under section 15 of the Excise Duty Act 2015 will be updated on the KRA website, www.kra.go.ke on a weekly basis.
The public are notified that any products manufactured or imported;
- on or after 13th November, 2019 found not bearing an excise stamp;
- before 13th November, 2019 and found in the market after 29th February, 2020 not bearing an Excise Stamp; shall be seized and offenders prosecuted.
Note: Manufacturers and importers are advised that issuance of stamps is conditional upon them filing all their tax returns and payment of assessed taxes. For clarification please contact us on Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Contact Centre on Tel: 020 4 999 999; 0711 099 999 or Email: email@example.com
Commissioner of Domestic Taxes